Key to the Future Award
Reviewed/Revised: 5/2005, 2/2016, 10/2018
The cultivation of leaders depends on recognizing individuals of promise, providing activities which challenge them to develop and demonstrate leadership skills, rewarding their efforts, and planning for their continued and future growth.
1. To identify members with leadership promise as participants in development activities with a need to be nurtured into leaders of
2. To encourage the appointment of “newly active” members to positions of responsibility within the Society which will permit them to
develop and demonstrate leadership skills.
3. To recognize and reward “newly active” members who have demonstrated their leadership potential by contributions to the
4. To encourage strategically planned future appointment/nominations of these prospective leaders to activities/offices which will
continue their leadership development.
1. Eligibility Criteria:
a. Be a “newly active” member of ASCLS-PA.
Definition of “Newly Active”:
1. Member for less than three (3) years
2. Member for longer than three (3) years but who has recently taken an active role in ASCLS-PA
3. Member of ASCLS-PA Leadership for less than three (3) years
b. Must be an ASCLS member in the Professional, Ascending Professional, or Developing Professional category of
c. Have demonstrated leadership potential by:
1. Directing at least one State or District Society Task Force
2. Chairing a State or Ad Hoc Committee of the State Society
3. Directing projects in which outcomes are measurable
(Examples include: 5% increase in membership; increased membership)
d. A member may receive this award only once.
2. Nomination and Selection Criteria:
a. Nominations may be made by any member of the ASCLS-PA Leadership on a form supplied by the Awards Committee.
b. The nominations shall be sent to the Awards Committee Chair by February 1st of each year.
c. The nominations will be compiled by the Awards Committee and sent to the ASCLS-PA Presidential Officers (President,
President-elect, and Immediate Past President) who will select from the nominees who have met the criteria.
d. The Presidential Officers may select up to three (3) individuals per year to receive this award. The selection(s) is/are to be
based on the criteria defined.
e. The Presidential Officers shall select the individual awardees recognized at the ASCLS-PA Annual Meeting Awards
The ASCLS-PA President shall submit the names of the awardees to the ASCLS Awards Committee by February 28th.
BE IT NOTED: These three individuals are in a unique position to view the activities of the Society and to recognize significant contributions.
a. The award shall be in the form of a “key” pin, awarded by ASCLS, a certificate presented by ASCLS-PA, and a ribbon or
sticker to be attached to the badge at the ASCLS-PA Annual Meeting.
b. The recipient should attend the ASCLS-PA Summer Planning Meeting.